Products Resources Support About Us

What if your Raw Data is corrupted or lost?

data

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to this product and I am interested in perhaps using it for my clients. But I need to know if my understanding of how it functions is correct. In general I can have raw data from various sources and Rocket will allow for my clients to query that data and create “google like” references to searches on that data. This will create an index that allows for my clients to access information for effectively in future searches.

If this is in general correct, what happens if my raw data becomes corrupted or is deleted with no backup? Can I rebuild or reinstall this raw data without having to rebuild those indexes that referenced the original raw data?

I need a better understanding of my risks and any help or education on this would be greatly appreciated.

Could you let us know which product you’re working with? Once we have that information, we can find the best person to assist with your question.

Thanks!

Rocket Folio/NXT

with Folio Views, Builder, Publisher and Integrator.

Thanks!

Hello,

I’ll give a quick overview of the purpose for each application you listed so we can build a bigger picture on how they work together and separately and discuss your question around possible data loss/corruption.

Folio Views - This is the rich text editing environment as well as the primary interface for users to view, navigate and search content indexed by Folio. Folio Views can create a new infobase (*.nfo file) and you can start typing to create content or import one document at a time and manipulate the imported content to look and function the way you require. Once you save the infobase, the information is now stored entirely in the infobase. This is a copy of your original source information you may have imported into the infobase. For example, if you import a Word document and make changes to that content, the changes are isolated to your infobase and the original Word document is not changed. Views can also read and edit infobases produced with Folio Builder.

Folio Builder - This application is the work horse for Folio allowing you to quickly build infobases from many documents. For example, you could import a directory with many sub-directories of PDF documents to be indexed and included into a single infobase and making them all searchable from a single location. Builder can also help you export an infobase to other formats such as the Folio Flat File format and that can be helpful to make large changes quickly and rebuild the data.

Folio Publisher - This application allows you to secure and apply rights management rules to your infobases and prepare an install package (installshield sample project included) and you add your newly secured content to the installshield project and compile the package. This is how content publishers ensure their products they sell to users are secure and not inappropriately used beyond the terms and timeline you determine.

Folio Integrator - This is the Folio SDK that allows developers to create custom components and functionality for the Folio product. As an example, our very own Folio Views application was built entirely with Folio Integrator.

If you are looking to publish and sell your content, there are infobases that contain very helpful documentation in the work you would need to do. Builder and Publisher both have a \nfo sub-directory where you can research the documentation in Folio Views.

In regards to your question regarding to data corruption, there is always a risk. Ideally, you would want to create a master infobase and back that up multiple times using both redundant storage and removable media. This gives you a place you can always return to if something goes wrong in the future but you must be mindful to keep it up to date or you may have a gap between the original version’s data and your most recent version.

Should data corruption occur, contact support for assistance and if you have a backup copy we can help repair or rebuild the infobase to correct the data corruption problem. In regards to data corruption to source material outside the infobase, in some cases we can extract the NFO to a FFF (Folio flat file) and use that data to help restore loss. Using the example of PDF documents I described above with Builder, let’s say you imported 50 PDF documents into your infobase. The original 50 lived on a single hard drive but the drive failed. We could extract that infobase to FFF and get access to the original PDF documents.

This isn’t always the case since Folio uses its own mark up language to tag content stored in the infobase. Regardless, some form of the data in the infobase would exist and could be utilized to help in the loss of original files. Many customers simply keep the same infobase up to date and make a single backup of the file. Corruption is rare in Folio however and not something users will ever encounter in their normal day to day usage.

In regards to backing up source data before you use it in Folio, there are many online resources you could research and develop a sound routine to ensure long term safety and recovery. I will let other experts elaborate further as I’m not well versed in this regard.

In the case where you password protect an infobase in preparation of publishing and applying rights management, be very mindful to record and store the password. Once an infobase is password protected and secured, the only way to access the infobase in the future is with the “owner” password or the license file that goes along with the published infobase. Consult the documentation for more details here.

You can also access all Folio documentation by visiting our online documentation library.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best Regards,
Aaron Read

Dear Aaron,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me this overview and information. It was very helpful and will help me develop a sound strategy to mitigate my risks during implementation.

Best regards,

John Meinertz