Products Resources Support About Us

Rocket Software

U2 database extension and viewer

Is a u2 database a single file like a sql server or microsoft access db is the db split over several files? we have an orphaned u2 ‘database’ with no documentation on setup/security/administration and could do with checking what data is in the database but need some help on what file represents the database and if we copy that file away are there any free tools to view the contents (no idea what security challenges or credentials may be required to open or access it)…

Depending upon the file type chosen, a U2 database file can be a single file or multiple files. For example (from UNIX - Windows is similar):
UniData:
dictionary file - type: static-hashed
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 2048 Jan 2 09:18 D_STUDENT

data file - type: static-hashed with an (optional) index.
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 4096 Jan 2 09:18 STUDENT <- data file
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 20480 Apr 3 06:08 X_STUDENT <- Index

data file - type: dynamic (it is a directory structure and contains an index - idx001, though there can be up to 254 numbered dat/ovr and idx part files.)
drwxrwsrwx 2 jjenkins staff 4096 Jan 21 04:44 INVENTORY
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 40960 Jan 2 09:18 dat001
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 2048 Jan 2 09:18 over001
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 2048 Jan 2 09:18 idx001

UniVerse is similar in principle but different in detail - e.g.
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 9728 Apr 3 06:15 D_MEMBERS <- dictionary file
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 1736704 Apr 3 06:15 MEMBERS <- static-hashed data file
drwxrwxrwx 2 jjenkins staff 4096 Apr 3 06:15 I_MEMBERS <- index file (directory)
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 229376 Apr 3 06:15 INDEX.000 <- part file in the I_MEMBERS directory
-rw-rw-rw- 1 jjenkins staff 24 Apr 3 06:15 INDEX.MAP <- part file in the I_MEMBERS directory

There are also a number of other variants.

In order to use this orphaned file you will need a copy of the database and a license for use on an appropriate O/S platform. I recommend going back to the source of the file and asking an appropriate person to assist in extracting data if that is the requirement. If you need to process the file locally and do not have access to the live database from which it was extracted then you will need to acquire an appropriate database license and gather some minor skills in database administration and usage, whether in-house or from an external resource.

If you are considering purchasing a license, please contact your Rocket directly or your local Rocket partner (if you know their name) where the Sales team can assist.